Wednesday, August 15, 2012

AGE , Daughters , DOGS , Pirates ........mortality

Wednesday, PuPPJuly 18, 2012
I was looking in the mirror today and realised the shades of gray coming out in my beard,at my feet was our oldGolden retriever “Puppy” , her face turned a soft white with age ,laying down beside me , flapping her tail while laying down as only old dogs can do, as I tell her of my plans for today . I realised the love Puppy has brought into our lives at the same time I realised what she has taught the 3 M’s[ lively pirate daughters ]. Dogs can teach daughters a lot if we teach them to listen with thier heart , mind and soul.Daughters, as very little girls, need to internalize the deepest knowledge of loyalty, faith, honor, respect, and of course, love. Dads may attempt to teach these virtues, but Puppy lives it. Every day.


Puppy taught my daughters the wisdom of living inthe moment. Even the least important moment is important enough.

Hearing the family car pulling into the driveway is important , exciting and a reason to investigate even if it is just for a hug, kiss and hello.

Waiting at the door is important...awarm hug and hello do wonders for everyone.

Going for walk , strolling ....lolli-gagging is good for the soul , sometimes

Feeling the slurp of cool water is important.

Stretching legs and toes is important.

Feeling the rush of the wind from the car window is important.

Getting a great big hug is important.

Puppy taught my daughters the truth of what is not particularly important. Morning breath. A bad hair day. Gossip.

Puppy taught my daughters to run, play, jump, frolic. Dogs have a magical way of nudging even our teenaged daughters into some agreeable action.

Puppy taught my daughters the beauty of looking into big, round eyes. The confidence of gently bathing and brushing magnificent hair. The patience of training. And the respect of things that are living.

Puppy taught my daughters to listen to a creature who has nothing to say. To speak her heart to ears that absorb her every word. To fear not solitude.

Puppy taught my daughters to be silly. To pour out saved-up wishes. To love simply, yet completely. To take delight in this love.

Puppy is teaching my daughters about mortality. And immortality. Dogs let our daughters know that man alone contemplates his mortality… animals who are ready to go show no sign of doubt. Puppy is offering my daughters the greatest hope that we will always live in the memories of those we leave on this earth.

Puppy has taught my daughters that love often times needs no logic. The sweetest attraction is sometimes the strangest!

No comments:

Post a Comment